sh'/> The Blog from Kevin Leighton Photography: Planning to blog but not blogging to plan
You Are About To Be Redirected To The Blog Page At The Kevin Leighton Photography website

Saturday 18 December 2010

Planning to blog but not blogging to plan

As this is a new blog I sat down in the week and drew up a plan. In the plan it said things like. Choose a direction to go in (technology, photography, etc). Write x number of articles a week. Make certain changes changes to the blog to make it more user friendly.

I sat down on the train and started to draft a blog entry and this isn't it. What I have already learned in my short blogging time is that things change. What I started to write then I don't want to publish now. You see I'm a technology person, a logical person, everything needs a plan. Not necessarily a project plan or an implementation plan but at least know your next steps. Right or wrong? Well I think both actually.

When I started my first blog I wrote one post, a year later I wrote my second post and then abandoned it.  A few weeks ago I started a new blog on a different web site which I outgrew within the week and now here I am on blogger.

I mentioned in my About page that I have number of different interests and I didn't know what would surface here. I have decided that it will probably be all of them. You see it's like this.

In certain respects a plan can be good. I need to know where my blog is going technically in terms of look and feel and presentation. I want it to have a clean and simple interface, an easy to ready font, headings that aren't too big, etc. So when I see something I want to change I'll put it on a list and decide the order of preference and when I might work on that job.

I tried to do this with my writing, it doesn't work. I can sit down and write on a given topic, eventually; but what I actually want to write about is what  grabs me now.

I'm a subscriber to a newsletter from BNET, it goes to my work email address. It's supposed to inspire me but often goes straight to the Trash folder as I don't have time to be inspired. Yesterday was different. I saw a reference to an article from Penelope Trunk headed 'How to Tweet Infrequently and Gain a Huge Following'.

OK I was hooked "Twitter" and "Following" did it for me. I was there. I wont repeat it here, read it for yourself.

I was straight over to Penelopes blog and darn it I was hooked again. As well as a great blog interface the first article contained the word camera. I was writing my about page so had to check that out and then 'Penelope's guide to starting a blog'.

This last article which is quite extensive really has convinced me to abandon my 'writing plan' and write about what grabs me at the time.

Just to prove that a little research goes a long way one of the articles talks about the Lifehacker website (couldn't resist a link after reading that one!). But wow what a interesting site. Being a Linux advocate I was immediately drawn by an article on the home page about the best Linux downloads of 2010 which fleetingly talked about Linux Mint the Operating System version I use, LMDE to be exact. So little detail ... I might just have to expand on it for them.

Until then ......

No comments:

Post a Comment