sh'/> The Blog from Kevin Leighton Photography: Cardiff Bay in the early spring sunshine - SST 15/02
You Are About To Be Redirected To The Blog Page At The Kevin Leighton Photography website

Tuesday 15 February 2011

Cardiff Bay in the early spring sunshine - SST 15/02

The winter has been a grim one and I've been struggling to coordinate having my camera to hand with a dry and sunny day, and those have been few and far between.

Thankfully I took my camera to work recently and the weather obliged so I took a look around Cardiff Bay to see what appealed.

My eye is often drawn by objects that make up "lines", be it a road disappearing off into the distance or an avenue of trees and I like to find an angle that is new to me and perhaps to others also viewing the same objects.

On this occasion I ducked under a foot bridge at Roald Dahl Plass  (English - Roald Dahl Plaza) named after the children's author) to view the structures which act as ventilators for the old dock structure below.

I love the lines they made and took some shots from different angles but the one displayed below is one of my favourites.



Whilst it's somewhat stunning in itself with the blue skies, white clouds and the copper roof of the Wales Millennium Centre in the background I decided I wanted to see what else I could do to make the image more interesting.

As a Linux user my Photo Editor of choice is GIMP (no Photoshop for us folk) so I had a look through to see what it could for me with this image. After the obligatory Crop and Sharpen I looked through the different plug-ins to see what caught my eye. In the end I decided to go for the "Canvas" look on both a Colour and Black & White representation of the image.


On the Colour representation (above) the canvas effect wasn't very apparant so I used a setting of 6.


On the Black & White image the effect could be seen more readily so I used a setting of 4.

Actually my favourites are the original image and the Black & White. What's your favourite?

1 comment:

  1. I think I prefer the first edit too.

    Have only visited Cardiff once, but really liked it :-)

    ReplyDelete